3 DAY NORTH-WEST & THE LAKES
DORM PACKAGE- 3 NIGHTS x £20
This is our Bank Holiday special 3 Day Lake District tour- for those who are more interested in getting straight to the action! Let us zoom you up to the north on the Friday evening, do some of Britain’s finest hiking and climbing in the beautiful Lake District, play on the fruit machines in Blackpool and finally get a Beatles walking tour around Liverpool - all with a few extras of course!
+ Tour highlights
- Hiking, climbing and whisky & gin tasting for two full days in the breathtaking Lake District
- Try fish & chips in the ‘Las Vegas of England’- Blackpool
- Get a Beatles Walking Tour around musical Liverpool
- Group dinners & quizzes
- Driver/Guide & Transport in our Backpacker Bus
- Quiz Night in the Lake District
- Walking Tour in Liverpool
- Welcome Goody Bag
+ Optional extras
All extras are recommended to be added at time of booking to avoid disappointment. You can add these on later/during the tour but there may be very limited availability (especially Via Ferrata).
- Train from Liverpool-London on Tuesday/Wednesday if staying on after the tour If you don't want to arrange this yourself, we can book the train from Liverpool-London for you.
- Via Ferrata Extreme- A climbing experience on the side of the Honister Slate Mine.
Note: You do need to be reasonably fit and healthy for the Xtreme.
Edge exposure, vertical climbs, cliff edge ladders, plus a Burma Bridge & Cargo Net crossing.
Scramble up the huge Cargo Net to reach the summit of Fleetwith Pike and one of the finest views the Lake District has to offer. Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater, perfectly framed by Alfred Wainwright`s favourite Fells, roll out before your very eyes.
More details: https://honister.com/via-ferrata/
- Mine tour- Experience Honister’s rich mining history for yourself! Delve deep within the underground tunnels and caverns in the magnificent Fleetwith Pike and experience first-hand what life was like for the miners through the ages, listen to the story of 8-year-old John Taylor and learn how Slate mining at Honister progressed through his lifetime. Enhanced reality technology and explosive special effects will transport you to another time and place.Mine tours take approximately 90 minutes, involve uneven terrain plus descending approximately 50 steps (with a handrail) More details: https://honister.com/inside-the-mine/mine-tour/ £17.50
- Lakes Distillery Tour Get a glimpse behind the scenes of a working distillery – discover how they make our whisky, gin and vodka, and why the place they have chosen for The Lakes Distillery is so very special. Explore the magnificent stillroom with our expert and enthusiastic tour guides. Finally, finish off your tour in the tasting room where you’ll have the opportunity to sample three of their spirits. More details: https://www.lakesdistillery.com/events/view_event/1/ £12.50
+ Travel evening (Friday evening)
- We depart from Park Royal at 6pm and make our way up directly to Kendal in the Lake District for a late arrival (around midnight) to be ready for a full two days of exploration.
+ Day 1 (Saturday)
- Spend the late morning and early afternoon in Keswick, a pretty market town where you can choose from several different hikes to do in the surrounding rolling hills around the breathtaking lakes (whatever your ability!, and load up on rhubarb & custard sweets in the local traditional sweet shop.
- Those who have pre-booked either the Mine Tour or Via Ferrata climb at the Honister Slate Mine will be dropped off, in the middle of one of the best journeys of the trip- a meander through the Borrowdale Valley and its stunning red and green peaks around Buttermere Lake.
- The rest of the group will be taken to the award winning Lakes Distillery to learn about how whisky, gin and vodka are made using the local Derwentwater River & Lake, with tastings at the end of course!
- Optional Saturday Night Pub Quiz in the hostel hosted by Jan and Kristina- The Great British Lake-Off! (yes, sorry, we know)
+ Day 2 (Sunday)
- The more adventurous of the group can opt to hike the 6 hour up and down route of Helvellyn, one of the highest peaks in the UK and formed by volcanic rock.
- The rest of the group can opt to be taken to Bowness-on-Windermere, the tourist hub of The Lakes where you can take a boat ride across the picture perfect blue lake over to Ambleside. Many walks and hikes are available for all abilities and you can also sample the famous gingerbread from Grasmere.
- Last night curry (Britain's favourite food!) in Kendal to reflect on the trip and celebrate with a mini award ceremony! Some cracking prizes on offer.
+ Day 3 (Monday)
- Travel south with a lunchtime stop in 'The Las Vegas of England' and famous British domestic holiday destination- Blackpool! Known for its drag queens, Blackpool ballroom, gambling arcades, fish & chips and saucy postcards, it's the ultimate tacky English seaside experience.
- Arriving in Liverpool early afternoon you can have a Beatles themed walking tour around Liverpool ending in the famous Cavern Club
- Departure back to London around 4pm to get back around 10pm- please note, if you would like to stay in Liverpool for longer you are welcome to stay a night in The Embassie Hostel for £20 and I can arrange train travel back for you at an extra cost for a day of your choosing (around £20)
+ Need to know
- The English weather is famously unpredictable- it's highly recommended you bring a waterproof jacket, an umbrella and waterproof shoes. Outside of summer, also recommended to bring gloves and a scarf- you never know!
- If you'd like to join or leave the tour at different points, please contact us and we can see if it can be arranged.
- If you'd like to stay in the dormitories some nights and arrange your own accommodation for the other nights, then contact us and we can see if this is possible.
- You are recommended to have your own travel insurance and please bring your ID with you.
- Our booking conditions including cancellation policy can be viewed here.