7 DAY NORTH-WEST EXPLORER TOUR
DORM PACKAGE- 6 NIGHTS x £20
Our flagship tour takes in a whole cross-section of English culture and sights! Learn about the great scholars of Oxford, see live music where it all began for The Beatles in the 1960’s in Liverpool, have a go on the fruit machines in English seaside favourite Blackpool, check out the Roman ruins in Chester and get stuck into long hikes and climbing in the Lake District before sampling some of their finest gin and whisky!
+ Tour highlights
- Historic Walking tour in Oxford
- Pub Crawl in literary Oxford
- Beatles Walking Tour & explore the British music scene in Liverpool
- Visit to Charles Darwin’s birthplace Shrewsbury
- Taste scones & jam in a Cotswolds village
- See Roman ruins in Chester
- Try fish & chips in the ‘Las Vegas of England’- Blackpool
- Hiking, climbing and whisky & gin tasting in the breathtaking Lake District
- Group dinners & quizzes
- Driver/Guide & Transport in our Backpacker Bus
- Historic Walking Tour in Oxford
- Pub Crawl in literary Oxford
- Beatles Walking Tour in Liverpool
- 1 x Full English Breakfast
- 1 x Dinner Voucher in Liverpool
- 2 x Hostel Breakfasts
- Quiz Night in The Lake District
- Welcome Goody Bag
+ Optional extras
All extras are recommended to be added at time of booking to avoid disappointment. You can add these on later/during the tour but there may be very limited availability (especially Via Ferrata).
- Via Ferrata Extreme- A climbing experience on the side of the Honister Slate Mine.
Note: You do need to be reasonably fit and healthy for the Xtreme.
Edge exposure, vertical climbs, cliff edge ladders, plus a Burma Bridge & Cargo Net crossing.
Scramble up the huge Cargo Net to reach the summit of Fleetwith Pike and one of the finest views the Lake District has to offer. Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater, perfectly framed by Alfred Wainwright`s favourite Fells, roll out before your very eyes.
More details: https://honister.com/via-ferrata/
- Mine tour- Experience Honister’s rich mining history for yourself! Delve deep within the underground tunnels and caverns in the magnificent Fleetwith Pike and experience first-hand what life was like for the miners through the ages, listen to the story of 8-year-old John Taylor and learn how Slate mining at Honister progressed through his lifetime. Enhanced reality technology and explosive special effects will transport you to another time and place.Mine tours take approximately 90 minutes, involve uneven terrain plus descending approximately 50 steps (with a handrail) More details: https://honister.com/inside-the-mine/mine-tour/ £17.50
- Lakes Distillery Tour Get a glimpse behind the scenes of a working distillery – discover how they make our whisky, gin and vodka, and why the place they have chosen for The Lakes Distillery is so very special. Explore the magnificent stillroom with our expert and enthusiastic tour guides. Finally, finish off your tour in the tasting room where you’ll have the opportunity to sample three of their spirits. £12.50 More details: https://www.lakesdistillery.com/events/view_event/1/
+ Day 1 (Monday)
- Departure from Park Royal Tube Station (Piccadilly Line) at 10am and receive our Full English Backpacker Bus Goody Bag!
- A quick stop in riverside town Henley-On-Thames, voted one of the 'most beautiful towns in England' by The Times.
- Weaving through Oxfordshire villages you'll arrive around lunchtime in historic Oxford, home of the ancient university. Free time for lunch perhaps for bangers and mash in one of the city's tiny wood-beamed pubs, or for a jacket potato in a local cafe.
- Afternoon Walking tour led by our driver/guide around Oxford sights.
- Free time in the afternoon to explore the museums and perhaps go punting, depending on the English weather!
- Pub crawl starting in the hostel and taking you around Oxford's famous student nightlife. They work hard but also party hard!
+ Day 2 (Tuesday)
- Full English Breakfast (included) at the local Crisis cafe which supports an English homeless charity.
- Travel to The Cotswolds to see a couple of traditional thatched-cottage, honey coloured stone villages amongst the rolling hills, for plenty of photo opportunities. One well known amongst tourists- the other our secret!
- A 2 hour journey creeping further north to Shrewsbury, the birthplace of Charles Darwin and a quirky yet traditional Tudor city to have lunch in and explore.
- Onwards 2 more hours to reach iconic Liverpool, in the north-west of England.
- Chill out in our hostel in the Georgian Quarter with the two Kevins, who have jam sessions in their recording studio and have been known to film music videos featuring the guests!
+ Day 3 (Wednesday)
- Walking tour about Liverpool & The Beatles- led by Kevin Snr who will tell you what it was like during the Beatlemania period in the 1960's, ending in The Cavern Club where they regularly performed.
- Free afternoon to explore Liverpool's docks, Tate Modern and or check out the Northern hospitality at the local pubs.
- Option to visit Manchester in the afternoon by train.
- Dinner recommendations to try either in Liverpool's hipster dining scene with secret cocktail bars, or traditional Scouse or pie and mash.
- Nightlife recommendations in Liverpool.
+ Day 4 (Thursday)
- A trip to Chester for a few hours to check out the most complete Roman walls in Britain, and Chester Castle.
- Travel further north with a stop in 'The Las Vegas of England' and famous British domestic holiday destination- Blackpool! Known for its drag queens, Blackpool ballroom, gambling arcades, fish & chips and saucy postcards, it's the ultimate tacky English seaside experience.
- Moving onwards to The Lake District we arrive in Kendal, which will be our base for the next two days. Continuing the famous Northern hospitality- Kristina and her mum Jan will welcome you to their hostel (who is still a backpacker and stays regularly in dorm rooms!).
+ Day 5 (Friday)
- Spend the late morning and early afternoon in Keswick, a pretty market town where you can choose from several different hikes to do in the surrounding rolling hills around the breathtaking lakes (whatever your ability!, and load up on rhubarb & custard sweets in the local traditional sweet shop.
- Those who have pre-booked either the Mine Tour or Via Ferrata climb at the Honister Slate Mine will be dropped off, in the middle of one of the best journeys of the trip- a meander through the Borrowdale Valley and its stunning red and green peaks around Buttermere Lake.
- The rest of the group will be taken to the award winning Lakes Distillery to learn about how whisky, gin and vodka are made using the local Derwentwater River & Lake, with tastings at the end of course!
- Optional Friday Night Pub Quiz in the hostel hosted by Jan and Kristina- The Great British Lake-Off! (yes, sorry, we know)
+ Day 6 (Saturday)
- The more adventurous of the group can opt to hike the 6 hour up and down route of Helvellyn, one of the highest peaks in the UK and formed by volcanic rock.
- The rest of the group can opt to be taken to Bowness-on-Windermere, the tourist hub of The Lakes where you can take a boat ride across the picture perfect blue lake over to Ambleside. Many walks and hikes are available for all abilities and you can also sample the famous gingerbread from Grasmere.
- Last night curry (Britain's favourite food!) in Kendal to reflect on the trip and celebrate with a mini award ceremony! Some cracking prizes on offer.
+ Day 7 (Sunday)
- The long road back to London and some recovery time!
- A stop for a traditional Sunday Roast Carvery in the West Midlands (veggie options available as always!) to join in with our family traditions.
- Arrival in Cambridge around 4pm for some free time to wander round, or you can opt to leave the tour here if you'd prefer to explore it further.
- Arrival back in London at South Woodford tube station (Central line) at around 7:30pm.
+ Need to know
- The English weather is famously unpredictable- it's highly recommended you bring a waterproof jacket, an umbrella and waterproof shoes. Outside of summer, also recommended to bring gloves and a scarf- you never know!
- If you'd like to join or leave the tour at different points, please contact us and we can see if it can be arranged.
- There may be other guests on the tour who are joining in Oxford or Liverpool.
- If you'd like to stay in the dormitories some nights and arrange your own accommodation for the other nights, then contact us and we can see if this is possible.
- You are recommended to have your own travel insurance and please bring your ID with you.
- Our booking conditions including cancellation policy can be viewed here.